Thursday, October 15, 2009

Today Truly is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life

Yes, it it true. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. It is the first day of my first blog. Why? I need to feel connected. Connected to what? Unfortunately, in the information age there seems to be only one method of connection. Blogs, e-mails, social networks, etc. So I have taken the plunge.

I have a home office in my attic. In my strangest daydreams I have seen myself as Louisa May Alcott or Jane Austen writing away in a garret room surrounded by the past and hoping for a future. Hence the garret reference. Trust me, I am surrounded by the past.

I live in a house built in 1864 so that alone give me license. However, it is also my attic. Here bits and pieces of my life have found repose. Some have taken root (in the worst way). In February I began the arduous task of cleaning out the attic. It was an adventure. It was a huge undertaking. It was frightening. I discovered I had been using my attic to store stuff that I believed I could never part with. I also believed the space was just a large storage bin; an in-house U-Store-It. You know what I mean, boxes of old clothes you don't want to throw away or wear again. I was surprised to find my elementary school report cards that my mother had carefully saved and packed in a box. Wow. That is a post all unto itself. "Stuff My Mom Saved For Me." Much to my chagrin I also came across a box of old underwear. It was gross. However, I digress.

It is here in my garret that I am alone. If someone wants to visit they must muster the fortitude to climb at least two flights of stairs. It is a way to remove myself from the madness of family life, regain my personal civility and connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment