Friday, January 8, 2010

Karma Pictures Continued


While blogging about my own karma pic I mentioned my sister. She is an interesting study. Seven years separate us with me in the lead. Like all younger siblings, she complains that there are more pictures of me than her. That is logical, as I have been camera fodder longer than she has.

As a child she did not care for sand, wind, and sun. She insisted on wearing sunglasses to ward off the evil sun and a hat to keep her hair neat. Sand was her worst enemy. My dad enjoyed camping vacations near water. Usually if there is water there is sand, especially along the Atlantic Coast.

Dad snapped the picture of SisterBee and MotherBee on Daytona Beach, Florida. Our dad believed it would be great to go to Florida during Easter vacation. Fortunately, my vacation schedule did not coincide with Spring Break or we would have been miserable.

That winter reminds me of our current weather situation. It is cold everywhere, even in Florida. A strong onshore breeze made the beach untenable, so Dad built a beachhead of sand to deflect the wind and give Mom an opportunity to sunbathe. I wore a sweatshirt over my swimsuit. Being young and determined, I stayed on the beach playing and even running out into the cold ocean.

However, SisterBee clung tenaciously to her beliefs. The picture says it all.

Post Script. When I returned to school following vacation no one believed I had been in Florida. They held their own beliefs, which even a suntan could not sway.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog this afternoon and this post made my day. Beautifully written and something about it was just touching...you've got to love family. Sounds like even with the cold weather it was a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete