Friday, March 19, 2010

Saint Patrick in My Kitchen


Saint Patrick's Day, that day when everyone is Irish, the Chicago River runs green, and amateur drinkers imbibe to excess. I spent the day in the kitchen, exploring the uncharted waters of Irish and Irish-inspired cuisine. I gathered an interesting array of recipes, put on my green apron, and began.

I decided to play it safe and prepare dessert first. I started early in the morning, making Black & Tan Brownies. A layer of tan brownies baked for fifteen minutes, and then I spread the gooey, thick layer of Guinness-laced chocolate batter on top, and completed the baking time. When they emerged from the oven, I was a little surprised. While we are accustomed to gooey brownies, these were rather cake-like in texture. The recipe called for unsweetened chocolate, and even with the addition of sugar, were not hurt-your-teeth-sweet. The taste grew on us both figuratively and literally.

My next exploit was the main course, Chicken and Dumpling Stew. I really didn't want to travel the corned beef and cabbage route this year, and I have it on good authority that chickens do live in Ireland. Chopped carrots, potatoes, peas and chicken simmered in a cream-based broth for several hours. Yum. The smell alone was wonderful. I used whole wheat flour for the dumplings, so they were not as light and fluffy as my mom's. Yet, in keeping with the theme of good, home-cooked, comfort food, the stew was delicious. I confess; I made yummy noises.

My final stop on the day's food travel was the making of the bread. Not just any bread, but Irish Soda Bread. I Googled "Irish Soda Bread," and found the web site of the Society for the Preservation of Irish Soda Bread. I knew I had struck the Mother Lode. The site is loaded with information, recipes, and the true definition of ISB: flour, salt, baking soda, and buttermilk. I made a wonderful, crusty, round loaf with the traditional cross cut into the top. One bite and I knew someone's Irish Granny was smiling down on me.

It was a great day for my kitchen and Saint Patrick. Easter is on the way. I must begin searching for recipes-maybe some Hot Cross Buns? I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment